Saturday, July 25, 2015

Adoptive Daddy

I'm beyond excited for us to finally become a family!  I can't wait to see Caitlin become the incredible Mom to our children that she already is to so many of the kids and youth in our lives!  And I can't wait to become a Dad, myself!  I have always wanted to be a dad.  I was blessed to grow up with an amazing Dad and Mom who were great role models, and I can't wait to see them become grandparents and my sister to become an aunt!


With that said, I just wanted to share a little from my perspective.  Before all of this, I was very unfamiliar with the whole world of adoption (and still have so much more to learn), but I didn't realize how little information there was out there specifically for adoptive dads.  I don't know about you or the rest of the world, but to me, the gift of fatherhood is one I yearn to receive, and I know the same goes for Caitlin and the idea of motherhood.  I use that word, "yearn," purposefully.  It means to have a strong desire for something or to have a tenderness or moving toward something.  With yearning, there is emotional  pain.  Wanting and yearning are completely different.  I want a lot of things in life; brand new car, big tv, the latest gadgets, etc.  All of these things are nice and of course, I'd like to have them, just like most of you would too.  But, I don't have any emotional pain pulling me toward any of those things.  Becoming a father is much deeper.  The desire is so strong and there is an emotional tenderness toward it that words cannot express.

I think so many adoptive dads are afraid to talk about it because it's not "manly" or may seem “weak.”  But to me, the strongest and most positive dad is one who is honest and open.  Adoption is an extremely emotional journey, and it should not be left up to the wife to carry it all alone.  The dads have to step up and be involved. 

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ.
1 Corinthians 11:3a

I guess for me, one blessing I have received through this process is the gift of appreciation.  So many couples are blessed to have children with no difficulties at all, and many times without even trying.  That is such a wonderful thing!  And I celebrate with them in their joy!  However, the struggles we have faced have made us see babies and children in such a different light.  We appreciate the idea of parenthood in such a way that it is so precious and so fragile, and one that we will not take lightly. This is not to say others don’t appreciate being parents, because I know that is not the case.  I just mean that through loss and heartache, a deeper appreciation than words can adequately describe will emerge.  I can’t wait to “appreciate” fatherhood!


So, if nothing else, I hope that through this journey, I can be of some help to adoptive dads out there who are struggling through this process.  I most likely won’t know the answers to many questions, but I will absolutely be a prayer partner and a sounding board to any guys with the same yearning for fatherhood and may be looking into adoption. 
Thanks!
Jason

UPDATE:
We are still looking for friends and family to “Adopt a Puzzle Piece.”  Financially we cannot do this without the help of you all.  Please check out the latest update on the post “Adopt a Puzzle Piece and Help us Bring Home ‘D Baby!” 

****UPDATE**** July 25 - We are making progress!  Thank you to those who have given already!  We wanted to update on the numbers that have been spoken for as of today (July 25).  Those numbers are: 1-8, 10-15, 17-20, 24-26, 30-31, 39, 45, 50-52, 57, 80, 88, 100, 106, 127, 173, 230 and 297-300.  All others are still available!  Thanks again!

1 comment: